Rob Curley has had an unofficial mission statement at the newspapers he has worked at: Build cool shit.
That’s the only way we are going to turn around the journalism industry. With that in mind, here is some cool Web journalism shit to check out:
- Lawrence Journal-World – Anything this paper and its parent company spits out is worth checking out.
- Las Vegas Sun: Flight Delay Calculator – It’s a great idea and implementation. I’d like to see print do this. Oh wait, print can’t.
- onBeing – Spend 10 minutes on this WashingtonPost.com feature and you’ll be convinced just how cool this feature is.
- EveryBlock – Get information (news, crime statistics, real estate listings, etc, etc, etc) about your city and neighborhood down to the block level. It’s a great concept that only works on the Web. Too bad it is only in three cities so far.
- The New York Times: The Met’s New Greek and Roman Galleries – This feature allows us to actually experience the Met’s galleries. We have 3D steerable photos, audio narration and more. It’s the next best thing to actually getting to see the galleries in person. It would also make a fine companion piece for someone who attends the galleries and wants to learn more.